Sunday, November 6, 2016

Teaching with Technology - Reflecting on my triggering question (Module 3)

In my exploration of ISTE Standard 3 these past two weeks I’ve discovered much about how I use technology and how I can better use technology to help my students. Standard 3 asks teachers to “exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society” (ISTE, 2008). I’ve always been excited about using technology in my classroom, from being one of the first at my school in California to use a document camera, to being one of the first at that school to use Remind101, a text messaging application that later dropped the “101” from their name. The fun of getting to use these tools helped me integrate them into my classroom, even if somewhat awkwardly at times.

One of the biggest challenges I have with technology, however, is matching the desire to use all of the technology with the need to have focus in how I use technology. My triggering question for Module 3 was How can I best share knowledge of educational technologies, such as Google Apps and blogs, with my students? Upon reflection, I want to add “colleagues, administrators, and parents” to the end of that question. My research initially took me to an article titled “Supporting 21st Century Learning Through Google Apps,” by Roger Nevin, a teacher librarian in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. Nevin writes about some of the benefits of using Google Apps, including the ability to access information wherever you have internet access and collaboration features (Nevin, 2009). Nevin’s article provides a framework for supporting the use of Google Apps in the classroom, and I realize that the best way to share the information is to implement it in my classroom. Previous research had already sold me on Google Apps, and I’ve started to move in that direction, although I’m a long way from full implementation with my students.

By luck, I discovered another article through reddit, an online collection of links to images and information, often of dubious reputation. While browsing the ELATeachers subreddit I came across a blog post titled “Streamlining the Student-Blogging Process.” Shay writes about how he uses Kidblog to have students post their work, and how he requires them to revise their writing until they have A work before they can post it (Shay, 2016). The timeliness was uncanny as I have already planned to have my students set up blogs this week using Blogger, Google’s blogging tool that we already use for the SPU TLP program. Shay’s blog led me to Kidblog, and the privacy tools available through that program are more in line with what my district will likely require. Namely, the ability to control access to the blogs and to set up individual classes will help me manage students’ online behavior, a potential problem with high schoolers that could derail the entire project if it gets out of control. Shay’s comments helped raise my awareness of issues I hadn’t even thought of. Whether he intended to or not, he was modeling Standard 3 by sharing his knowledge with his colleagues.

The Vialogue for this module also helped tremendously. Before the video was even finished I was already using Diigo, an online resource management tool. This may be the first tool I use to share information with my colleagues, although my colleagues’ familiarity with Google Docs may work out better. Either way, I know I have tools at my disposal, and it’s up to me to start using them.

I’m excited about using all of the tools. And I’m losing my anxiety about it not working. I told my students last week that the blogging would be an experiment. If it works, great; if not, we’ll make it work better next time.

Works cited

ISTE Standards: Teachers. (2008). International Society for Technology in Education. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-T_PDF.pdf
Nevin, R. (2009). Supporting 21st century learning through Google apps. Teacher Librarian, 37, no. 2, 35-38. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.spu.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip&db=eric&AN=EJ869558&site=ehost-live
Shay, J. (2016, November 4). Streamlining the student-blogging process [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://mr-shay.blogspot.com/2016/11/streamlining-student-blogging-process.html

Wicks, D. (2016). EDTC 6433 Fall 2016 Module 3 hangout recording [Vialogue; video recording]. Retrieved from https://vialogues.com/vialogues/play/32833/?ak=e9e0fd1e8991d29280fb95c548c32345

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pat,
    I really appreciate your continued journey with blogging in the classroom. I am hoping to set some up soon, too, so your information is helpful. As far as Diigo, I started using it right away, too! It is an excellent resource for students, researchers and teachers. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete