Sunday, October 9, 2016

Teaching With Technology - Reflection on my triggering question (Module 1)

How can I use Google Docs to provide more timely feedback to my students?


I fell in love with Google Docs last year when I collaborated with a colleague for the AP English Language course we both taught. I sensed early on the possibilities of using online collaboration in teaching, but I couldn’t wrap my mind around the specifics, so this made sense as a triggering question. The question of providing feedback on writing has always vexed me, in part because of the difficulty of reading a full paper for a full class (or multiple classes) of students in a short enough amount of time to make a difference. For example, our school gives English teachers three weeks to finish grading essays and return grades to students. Any feedback is meaningless after that time; why do I even bother writing comments? Yet I need those full three weeks when 120 students turn in two- to three-page papers.


My ultimate goal for using Google Docs is to facilitate student learning, a critical component of ISTE Standard 1. I also feel that when students are given an opportunity to use old tools (word processing) in new ways (online and collaborative) that it will inspire creativity, which is the other key component of Standard 1. My research took me to an article by Denton (2012) in which he outlined several strategies discovered through his research for integrating cloud computing into the classroom. All of these strategies relied on the principles of constructivism and cooperative learning. The idea behind constructivism is that students learn based on their experiences, while cooperative learning involves interaction with other learners (Denton, 2012).


Two of Denton’s strategies that stood out for me were on student-constructed presentations and assisted writing. The idea behind student-constructed presentations is that multiple students would edit the same presentation through Google Slides, with each student being assigned a specific slide (p. 37). Students would receive guidance for content, then demonstrate their understanding of the subject matter by completing the assignment. My students recently completed an assignment that would have been perfect for this model. I had students create posters for the classroom on different rhetorical strategies writers use, with each poster containing the strategy, a definition, its function, and an example. This would have been ideal for Google Slides, as it would have allowed students access to the entire product as it was being produced, and give them a final product they could access outside of the classroom as a study guide. As it is, the posters look nice on my wall, but students can’t take them home.


On assisted writing, Denton (2012) encourages the use of Google Docs, which allows for collaboration necessary for cooperative learning. Students could share documents with other students and the instructor, eliminating the need to exchange papers and allowing all to see changes made over time (p. 38). If I had students use this model, then the feedback I gave them could be used immediately, not three weeks later. I would be grading formative drafts, not summative assignments, and my students would have a strong reason to read my comments, as they could be used in preparing a final draft for submission. My summative grading would then concentrate on the final changes, not the entire content of the paper.


This latter use, assisted writing, makes the most sense for my classroom, but it does raise a few questions, namely in the execution. Not all of my students have Google accounts; can I require them to get one? What about the few students who don’t have internet access at home? I can encourage them to use computers at school, but is that an equitable solution? My colleagues have already written about the need for training in digital citizenship; what will this entail for my students? How much instruction will I need to provide to establish the framework for this to be effective? I know the initial process won’t be easy, but how can I sustain this model once I begin? These questions don’t discourage me at all; rather, I’m excited about the prospect of using technology in this new way. Whatever challenges I face in implementing this model, I can see how effective it will be for both me and my students.


References

Denton, D.W. (2012). Enhancing instruction through constructivism, cooperative learning, and cloud computing. Tech Trends: Linking Research and Practice to Improve Learning, 56(4), 34-41. doi:10.1007/s11528-012-0585-1

2 comments:

  1. Pat, I've said this before, but I am really excited to hear how you implement this! In particular, the assisted writing that google docs provides could revolutionize how we grade in our district. I agree with you that the long delay in feedback is not beneficial to students, and it would be better to there learning to give them feedback as they work. I look forward to checking in with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat!
    I love the idea about using Google docs for the posters. Your idea of ending with a study guide of rhetorical strategies for all students is brilliant!
    I am also curious to hear more about how you implement Google docs. Using it for formative assessments is a good idea. I just wonder about time - let us know if you try it, and if it is more efficient. You are right, formative assessment during the essay writing process is really important, but the logistics and time commitment are difficult.
    Nice job!
    Jolene

    ReplyDelete